THE CULT OF GLOBAL WARMING
When you hear the term "Global Warming", think "Central Planning". With Global Warming, the Left finally has its best excuse to restrict your lifestyle and take away your freedoms
Liberals are huge supporters of Global Warming hysteria. Their belief in it has become almost cult-like -- to the point where those who voice dissent are threatened with loss of money, livelihood, and even their right to speak. For example, a recent letter from two U.S. Senators demands that Exxon Mobile cease funding groups that are skeptical of the science of climate change.
Particularly objectionable is the use of the term “climate
change denier” to describe dissenting voices: a deliberate
attempt to draw a parallel with Holocaust deniers. Indeed,
the parallel has been made explicit by many green extremists.
The truth is neither the science nor the economics of global warming is settled. But global warming is not really about science anyway. It is about big government.
Ultimately it is the goal of green extremists to use misinformation to terrify you into submission. They want you to believe that your actions are killing the planet. You are responsible for climate change. Therefore, you must sacrifice your liberty to save it. Global warming advocates preach that all people, especially those in industrialized nations, must sacrifice in order to win the battle of climate change. Property rights and personal rights must be eroded to save the Mother Earth. Higher taxes and liberties must be traded for the safety of our planet.
If you oppose them, if you fight their radical agenda, if you expose the dubious “science” behind their assertions -- you are nothing less than an enemy of the planet.
TWENTY QUESTIONS FOR GLOBAL WARMING ALARMISTS
Compiled from various sources
(1) The earth has warmed and cooled numerous times in the past and many of those temperature variations have been much greater than anything we've experienced in recent history. So, since we humans do not understand how those temperature swings occurred, how can we be sure that the very mild warming we've seen so far hasn't been caused by normal changes in our climate? Are you willing to gamble our economy on it?
(2) If man's activity is responsible for the roughly one degree increase in temperature over the last century, then why did the global temperatures drop from 1940 to 1975 even though mankind's production of CO2 went up during that period?
(3) We can't accurately predict whether it is going to rain
or shine one week from now. We can't accurately predict the
weather one year from now (remember the devastating hurricanes
that were predicted for 2006 and 2007?). And in both cases,
it is extremely difficult to prove causation. What makes
Al Gore knows what the weather will be like in 2108? (This
is actually understated -- climate is much harder to predict
than the weather).
(4) Mars and other planets have also been experiencing global warming. Since man can't be a factor on all of these other planets, doesn't it make sense that a common factor -- perhaps the sun -- might be to blame?
(5) In the 1970's, the consensus among environmentalists was about global COOLING. Now it turns out that was simply a period of global temperatures getting cooler. So -- where did we go wrong in the 1970's and how do we know that we're not making the same mistake today?
(6) Global warming alarmists like to tell you that there
is a “scientific consensus”. But more than 31,000 scientists (including
over 9.000 with PhD's) have signed a statement disagreeing
with popular global warming theory. And, forgive my pun,
iceberg. Every week more scientists come forward to express
their skepticism. How can anyone credibly claim that there
are no real scientists and climatologists that have objected
to global warming theology? How can anyone credibly claim
that there is consensus on this issue? And what do poll results
have to do with science anyway?
(7) You cannot separate proposed solutions from this debate. Even if mankind was responsible for global warming, how would the solutions being offered (like Kyoto or carbon credit schemes) fix the problem? Big developing countries like India and China are exempt from Kyoto and unlikely to sign any deal that ruins their economy. Europe isn't anywhere near to meeting its Kyoto goals. Even backers of Kyoto admit that Kyoto won't solve the problem even if all of its targets are met. To put it another way, if a doctor told you that you had an incurable disease, would you still diet and exercise anyway?
(8) Bill Bryson, a believer of global warming, wrote in
his book, “Short
History of Nearly Everything” that “for most of its history until fairly recent times, the general pattern was for the earth to be hot with no permanent ice anywhere”. Doesn't that seem to suggest that despite everything we hear about the “record high temperatures”, the global temperature is quite a bit cooler than it has been throughout much of earth's history?
(9) Carl Zimmer noted in Discover Magazine that there were periods in the earth's history that much higher levels of CO2 but DID NOT have significantly higher temperatures. Doesn't this cast doubt on the relationship between CO2 levels and the earth's temperature?
(10) If, in geologic history, rises in CO2 have resulted in rises in global temperature, then why does the scientific evidence indicate that the rise in CO2 levels tends to FOLLOW the rise in temperatures by between 600 and 1,000 years?
(11) Scientists often point out that there seems to be a much closer relationship between the earth's temperature and solar activity. Doesn't that seem to strongly suggest that the sun, not mankind, is more likely responsible?
(12) Why do the global warming faithful point to the Mount Kilimanjaro glacier as evidence of global warming when most of the melting occurred before global warming could have been a factor?
(13) Why do the global warming faithful point to declines in polar bear populations when, according to the actual science, polar bear populations are between four and five times larger than they were in the 1950s.
(14) Why did global warming scientists at one time try to
pass off the now discredited “hockey stick” graph as objective
(15) Global warming theology predicts that temperatures in the stratosphere will rise at a much faster rate than surface temperatures. Why is the exact opposite taking place?
(16) If global warming is rapidly melting the ice caps, why is the Antarctic ice sheet thickening (as was reported in the journal Science)?
(17) Why does Al Gore find it necessary to describe Manhattan being deluged under 20 feet of water, when the IPCC's third report mentioned a top level during the time period discussed of 3 feet sea level rise, the fourth report revised it to 17 inches and, in order to get that figure, they had to deliberately select a variability trough as the starting point and a variability peak as an end-point or else the actual trends would indicate a maximum rise of about the same levels that have been experienced since the Little Ice Age came to an end?
(18) Why do liberals refuse to acknowledge that wealth -- not more socialism -- is the cure for poverty and pollution? Countries with good economies tend to have fewer people in poverty and tend to have cleaner air and water.
(19) If people like Al Gore really believe their own hype and think it is necessary to lecture the rest of us how to live, why can't they get by on less than 20 times the amount of energy that a regular family uses? Why does John Travolta lecture us but refuses to give up his five private jets? I mean, if they really believe the world is about to end, shouldn't they be making the greatest sacrifices to try to save it?
(20) Why do leftists use the phrase "the stakes are high"
every time they are about to do something utterly destructive?
GLOBAL WARMING ARTICLES
• The NASA chief is warning against global warming hysteria. And, predictably, the Star Tribune doesn't like it. Doug Williams expertly dissects the latest Strib editorial
• Climate crusaders at the Institute for Public Policy Research are calling for tobacco-style warnings on airplanes warning passengers that their vacation may be contributing to global warming.
• Some startlingly ridiculous research about network coverage of the global warming issue from the Media Research Center. Only three percent of television news stories about global warming contained any mention of dissent from Al Gore's approach to global warming -- and even those stories were heavily stacked in favor of Gore's "climate crisis" position.
• It's an unquestioned truth. Rhode Island college students are forced to watch Algore's Global Warming movie in order to graduate. We are not making this up. In Canada, one high school student is shown Al Gore's movie in 4 different classes: 'I really don't understand why they keep showing it'...
• One New Zealand meteorologist says "it is time to attack the myth of global warming".
• Superb piece by a former global warming believer, now a skeptic.
• One environmental extremist group says you should be penalized for having more than two children.
• Another demands world population be cut to one sixth of the current size.
• Another wants you to stop going on vacation.
• Another group calls the U.S. the biggest culprit of climate change.
• Democrats in Congress plan to divert scarce funds from fighting global terrorism to studying global warming.
• One bill even seeks to ban incandescent light bulbs.
• Meanwhile more and more scientists are calling the current global warming hysteria "completely irrational".
• Other scientists insist that the prophets of doom have it wrong.
• Congressional Budget Office study says instituting a carbon "cap and trade" system to help address climate change will drive up energy costs and result in higher prices for consumers with poor households bearing the brunt.
• A Financial Times investigation has uncovered widespread evidence that "carbon credit" programs cost millions and yield few if any benefits
• Even the liberal NY Times is starting to ask inconvenient questions about the feel-good carbon neutrality fad.
• U.S. taxpayers now pay about $4 billion per year to fund global change scientists and government bureaucrats associated with global warming.
• George Will reports that eighty three percent of Americans are now convinced that global warming is a serious problem.
• Fraud? Financial Times: Carbon Offset Industry “serious credibility concerns”
• Scientists call global warming debate “completely irrational”
• New Scientist: “Arctic Hippo” hints at a once balmy North Pole
• Colorado Middle School put Global Warming on trial recently. Their verdict? Global Warming is NOT caused by humans.
• ABC: Seal Hunters Stranded in Ice
• GOP3: Alternative Fuel Subsidies Cause Sober Germans, Starving Mexicans, More Pollution
• USAToday: Al Gore trains a global army
• Bloggers abuzz about missing bees
• Delaware Online: Del. Global Warming Skeptic Stands Pat
• American Thinker: Resisting Global Warming Panic - J.R. Dunn
• Harper's letter dismisses Kyoto as 'socialist scheme'
• Reuters: Scientists charge White House pressure on warming
• Reuters: California may ban conventional lightbulbs by 2012
• Lauer: Global Warming 'Literally Could be End of the World as We Know It'
• Reuters: Lights out at Eiffel Tower for climate risk
• NRO: Waxman’s Kyoto Strategy
• WT: The cooling world
• Earth Times: Two New Books Confirm Global Warming Is Natural, Moderate
• April 28, 1975 Newsweek: "The Cooling World" - PDF
• British Lord Stings Senators Rockefeller and Snowe: 'Uphold Free Speech or Resign'
• American Thinker: Lord Monckton stands up for science
• Aliens Cause Global Warming - Michael Crichton
• Heidi Cullen: A Very Political Climate
• ABC-TV Meteorologist: I Don't Know A Single Weatherman Who Believes 'Man-Made Global Warming Hype'
• Citrus freeze leaves thousands out of work
• Strip "Man-Made" Global Warming Skeptics of Credentials?
• Pelosi Targets Global Warming
• Charles puts his (carbon) foot in it
• The Wall Street Journal: Will Al Gore Melt?
• James Lewis: Why Global Warming is Probably a Crock
• Michael Crichton: Aliens Cause Global Warming
• Boston Globe: Markey caught in wrangling on global warming
• Michael Crichton: Environmentalism as Religion
• Fear, Complexity, & Environmental Management in the 21st Century
• WorldNetDaily: Loophole could benefit company with headquarter's in Pelosi district
• Boston Globe: With bangs of gavel, Frank lays down law
• CNN: Home Depot's new CEO gets a full workload
• CNSNews: Income Gap Not Growing, Data Shows
• American Thinker: Barmy Barney
• Washington Post: "Mayflower Madam" Gave Gobie Idea
• Washington Post: Chevy Chase Principal Resigns
• Climate Panel Recommends Global Temperature Ceiling, Carbon Tax
• Tokyo had 1st winter without snow on record
• Weapons of Global Warming Destruction
• The Age: Greenhouse sceptics to congregate
• Powerline: Follow That Armadillo!
• Numerical Models, Integrated Circuits and Global Warming Theory- Jerome J. Schmitt
• Aliens Cause Global Warming
• EIB Southern Command - Weather
• TCPR: Al Gore's Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient
• Drudge: Gore Mansion Uses 20X Average Household; Consumption INCREASED after “Inconvenient Truth”
• BBC: Gore accused of energy hypocrisy
• Al Gore's 'Inconvenient Truth'? -- $30,000 utility bill
• Bush Loves Ecology -- At Home - Rob Sullivan
• The Age: Greenhouse sceptics to congregate
• The Hindu: Dangerous denial
• Penance for Gas Guzzlers
• Daily Mail: Global warming sees polar bears stranded on melting ice
• Landmark Legal Foundation Nominates Rush Limbaugh for 2007 Nobel Peace Prize
• J.R. Dunn: Resisting Global Warming Panic
• The History Channel: Little Ice Age: Big Chill DVD
• The History Channel Teaching Guide on the Little Ice Age - PDF
• The History Channel Teaching Guide on the Little Ice Age - HTML
• CSM: US makes strides against “ecoterrorism”
• Seattle Times: Ecoterrorism is real
• J.R. Dunn: A Necessary Apocalypse
• Capitalism Magazine: Reason vs Faith: Julian Simon vs Paul Ehrlich
• UK Guardian: Scientists offered cash to dispute climate study
• Michael Crichton: Environmentalism as Religion
• Michael Crichton: Aliens Cause Global Warming
• Bjorn Lomborg: Will Al Gore Melt?
• The American Thinker: Why Global Warming is Probably a Crock
• Michael Crichton: Fear, Complexity, Environmental Management in the 21st Century
• Science Daily: How Strongly Does The Sun Influence The Global Climate?
• National Post: Look to Mars for the truth on global warming
• Contra Costa Times: Global warming nothing but a paper tiger
• The Cooling World: April 28, 1975 Newsweek
• Environmental Wacko Tripe: Mother Nature: World's Biggest Polluter - 12.01.04
BOOKS ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING
Knowledge is power. Here are some books that can help you make informed arguments about Global Warming.
||THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT GUIDE TO GLOBAL WARMING (AND ENVIRONMENTALISM) -- Christopher C. Horner. When you hear the words "Global Warming", think "Central Planning". For decades, environmentalism has been the Left's best excuse for increasing government control over our actions in ways both large and small. It's for Mother Earth! It's for the children! It's for the whales! But until now, the doomsday-scenario environmental scares they've trumped up haven't been large enough to justify the lifestyle restrictions they want to impose. With global warming, however, greenhouse gasbags can argue that auto emissions in Ohio threaten people in Paris, and that only "global governance" (Jacques Chirac's words) can tackle such problems. See also: "Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1500 Years" by Fred Singer and Dennis Avery.
UNSTOPPABLE GLOBAL WARMING: Every 1500 Years -- Fred Singer and Dennis Avery. Physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery note that most of the earth’s recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth’s last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites. This book documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. To understand the why and how, you might also check out "The Chilling Stars" by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder.
||THE SKEPTICAL ENVIRONMENTALIST: Measuring the Real State of the World -- Bjorn Lomborg. Lomborg has compiled an amazing amount of data and presents it thoughtfully and thoroughly. He brings a scientific mindset to the environmentalist movement. If you find that fear mongering and factually challenged arguments aren't cutting it anymore, this is the book for you. The scope of his work is stunning. The Skeptical Environmentalist is a must have for anyone who is frustrated when anecdotal evidence is presented as science in the media.
||THE CHILLING STARS: The New Theory on Climate Change -- Henrik Svensmark. For many years it has been known that periods of global cooling are associated
with with reduced solar activity. In the 1970s, Jack Eddy of the High Altitude
Observatory in Colorado named the correlation between the lack of sunspots and
the consequent decline in earth's temperature the "Maunder Minimum" and showed that similar sequences of global warming and cooling were also associated with increasing and decreasing solar activity. Until recently, however, no one has been able to provide a mechanism explaining why this correlation exists. Henrik Svensmark, however, has done just that in his published work and with the help of science writer Nigel Calder has provided a very readable explanation of how solar activity affects climate change. This book has profound implications for policy debates in this country and deserves a wide audience.